The 10 finalists of the Cinemalaya 2017 (Year 13) main competition (full length films) were announced by the Competition Director Mel Chionglo at the Cinemalaya 2016 awarding ceremonies last August 14 at the CCP Main Theater!
Congratulations to the following:
1. Mes de Guzman — “Ang Pamilyang Hindi Lumuluha” (his previous Cinemalaya full length film was “Diablo” in 2012, which won the Cinemalaya Best Film and Best Director, as well as Best Screenplay at the Gawad Urian Awards in 2013)
2. Joseph Israel Laban — “Ang Mga Baconaua sa Panahon ng Subasko” (his previous Cinemalaya full length films were “Cuchera” in 2011 and Nuwebe in 2013 which won for him the Best Director award in Asean International Film Festival & Awards or AIFFA in 2015, held in Malaysia.
3. Cenón Obispo Palomares — “Unang Patak ng Ulan sa Buwan ng Mayo” (his previous Cinemalaya full length film was this year’s Kusina as writer and co-director)
4. Zig Dulay — “Bagahe” (his previous Cinemalaya short film was “Missing” which won Gawad Urian’s Best Short Film in 2014)
5. Thop Nazareno — “Pacboy” (his previous Cinemalaya short film was “Eyeball” which was nominated as Best Short Film in Gawad Urian Awards in 2015)
6. Alberto Monteras, II (Treb Monteras) — “Respeto” (his first full length film, but has been directing music videos etc)
7. Perry Escaño — “Ang Guro Kong Hindi Marunong Magbasa” (his first full length film but has done some short films in the past)
7. Nerisa Picazo (NP Picadizo) — “Requited” (her first full length film but has done some short films in the past)
8. Crisanto Calvento (Sonny Calvento) — “Nabubulok at Hindi Nabubulok” (his first film ever, working as scriptwriter in ABS-CBN shows)
9. Iar Lionel Arondaing – “Sa Gabing Nanahimik Ang Mga Kuliglig”
As early as February 2016, they were already informed individually by Cinemalaya organizers, so as to have long period of time to prepare, and it’s now official! They have inked their contracts with the country’s popular and prestigious indie film festival for 2017.
Last year (2015), more than a hundred entries were submitted (detailed sequence treatment) and they were short listed to 25 semi-finalists. These 25 filmmakers were then asked to submit their full script and pitched to the Selection Committee as to why their entries deserve to be in the line up.
The announcement of the official final 10 was held at the awards night of the 2016 Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival at the Cultural Center of the Philippines Nicanor Abelardo Theater (CCP Main Theater).
Source: Cinemalaya Facebook Page