March 14, 2018, TOFARM Film Festival (TFF) has officially launched its third year with the theme “A Tribute to Life: Parating Na” to highlight the aspirations of the Filipino farmers and their journey to success. Aside from the seven (7) full-length film category, TFF now includes a TOFARM Short Film Competition.
The brainchild of Socio-Entrepreneur Dr. Mila O. How, the only advocacy-driven film festival in the Philippines showcases the lives, journeys, trials and triumphs of the Filipino farmer.
But with the passing of Maryo J delos Reyes, the film festival has lost its festival director.
“We were deeply saddened with the demise of Direk Maryo J delos Reyes, our first TFF director,” Dr. How said. “He gave so much of himself for TFF. When he suddenly left us, we found ourselves at a crossroad. Should we go on with the project or not?”
“But after a lot of thinking, I personally thought it’s best to carry on what Direk Maryo started. The festival would be a continuation of his vision for the farmers and for our film industry. This is our tribute to him,” Dr. How added.
As TOFARM Film Festival welcomes another year, a new festival director is announced comes with it.
Dr. How sought out the expertise of seasoned film personality Bibeth Orteza to be this year’s festival director and Joey Romero as Festival Adviser.
TOFARM Film Festival Full-Length Feature Category Mechanics
- All interested amateur and professional writers, students, hobbyists, farmers, and media practitioners, producers, directors etc. must submit the following requirements on or before April 20, 2018, Friday to the TOFARM Secretariat Office, 10th floor, Harvester Corporate Center, 158 P. Tuazon, cor. 7th& 8th Ave, Cubao, Quezon City:
- Duly accomplished 2017 TOFARM Film Festival form available at tofarm.org
- Synopsis written in Filipino or English (1 page, 12 pts font size, Arial, Double Space) on a letter sized bond paper. The synopsis and screenplay must -not contain the name of the writer. Writers name will have to be declared on a separate sheet with the title of the screenplay.
- Full length screenplays in Filipino (in 12 pts font size, Arial, Double Space on a letter sized bond paper.)
- Twelve (12) screenplays are to be short-listed from the entire lot of entries, by the selection committee. The shortlisted writers/directors/producers will be invited to pitch their entries before the selection committee, TOFARM Festival Director, TOFARM Managing Director and Dr. Milagros How. TOFARM reserves the right to suggest directors for certain scripts.
- The seven (7) finalists are to be announced in a Press Conference on May 23, 2018.
- Each of the seven (7) finalists will receive a seed production grant in the amount of Php 1,500,000 to be released in three (3) tranches at Php 500,000 each.
- The director/producer may solicit additional funds to augment production costs, but TOFARM shall not be liable for reimbursement.
- The director/producer of the films must submit the following materials to the festival committee for promotional and exhibition purposes:
- Behind the scenes (BTS) materials
- Teaser and trailer of the film in HD format
- Major credit titles (soft and hard copies) of the film and
- Vertical posters in CD jpeg format
- The deadline for submission of the completed full-length film, with English subtitles, is on August 17, 2018. Said completed full-length film must be DCP-ready. From submission, it will be transferred to DCP, a process that ideally takes at least a week, care of TOFARM. The KDMs are to be derived from the DCP file.
- The films and posters will be submitted to the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) within the week of September 3-6, 2018. Applications for review of said films and posters need to be made with the MTRCB the week before the review.
- Meanwhile, the director/producer of the film must submit, within reasonable time:
- An mp4.H264 version of the completed film, with subtitles not lower than 6GB
- An mp4.H624 version of the completed film not exceeding 4GB, with the watermark violator “For screening purposes only, TOFARM Film Festival”
- Because the above two versions are what is submitted to international film festivals, failure to submit these requirements may push TOFARM to disinclude submission of the film to said international film festivals.
- The Film Festival Awarding ceremony will be on September 15, 2018. The following prizes will be awarded:
- BEST TOFARM FILM 2018 – Php500,000 + Trophy
- 2nd BEST TOFARM FILM – Php400,000 + Trophy
- MARYO J DELOS REYES SPECIAL AWARD – Php300,000 + Trophy
- BEST DIRECTOR – TOFARM Trophy
- BEST ACTOR / ACTRESS – TOFARM Trophy
- BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR / ACTRESS – TOFARM Trophy
- BEST CHILD PERFORMER – TOFARM Trophy
- BEST SCREENPLAY – TOFARM Trophy
- BEST MUSICAL SCORE- TOFARM Trophy
- BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN – TOFARM Trophy
- BEST EDITING – TOFARM Trophy
- BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY – TOFARM Trophy
*All seven (7) finalists will be awarded a Plaque of Recognition
TOFARM Short Film Competition
For the third TOFARM Film Festival, Dr. Milagros O. How announces the inclusion of the TOFARM Short Film Competition as part of the continuing effort to highlight the aspirations of Filipino farmers and their journey to success.
A total of seven (7) short films shot entirely on a cellphone, no less than one (1) minute and no more than ten (10) minutes each will be chosen by a selection committee separate and totally independent from the TOFARM Film Festival Selection Committee, to screen along with the seven (7) feature films to be exhibited in the TOFARM Film Festival from September 12 – 18, 2018.
All interested amateur filmmakers are to e-mail their short films, shot on a cellphone, no less than one (1) minute and no more than ten (10) minutes, along with:
- Duly-accomplished 2018 TOFARM Short Film Competition form available at TOFARM.org
- Synopsis written in Filipino or English (1 page, 12 pts font size, Arial, double spaced) on letter-sized bond paper.
- Professionals are not allowed to join.
- TOFARM will accept entries from July 15 to August 15, 2018, to be e-mailed to email@example.com.
- Seven (7) short films are to be short-listed from the entire lot of entries, by a selection committee separate and totally independent from the TOFARM Film Festival Selection Committee.
- The chosen seven (7) Short Film Finalists are to be exhibited in the TOFARM Film Festival from September 12 – 18, 2018, along with the seven (7) feature films of the TOFARM Film Festival.
- The chosen seven (7) short films shall be submitted to the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) within the week of September 3 – 6, 2018. Applications for review.
- The short filmmakers and TOFARM may enter the work in various international short film festivals.
- The TOFARM Film Festival Awarding ceremony will include the announcement of three (3) winners of the TOFARM Short Film Festival Competition.
The following prizes will be awarded:
BEST TOFARM Short Film 2018 – Php 50,000 + Trophy + Smartphone + Steadicam Rig for Smartphone
2nd BEST TOFARM Short Film – Php 40,000 + Trophy + Smartphone + Steadicam Rig for Smartphone
3rd BEST TOFARM Short Film – Php 30,000 + Trophy + Smartphone + Steadicam Rig for Smartphone