MANILA, PHILIPPINES, JUNE 1, 2021 — In celebration of Pride Month this June, the Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) will hold the 2nd PelikuLAYA: LGBTQIA+ Film Festival online from June 4 to 30.
With the theme “Sama-Sama, Lahat Rarampa!”, this year’s PelikuLAYA aims to further empower the members of the LGBTQIA+ community through a lineup of local and international films, film talks and lectures, a drag yoga event, and musical performances.
Beginning June 4, a total of 23 subscription films can be viewed for only PHP 99 on the FDCP Channel (fdcpchannel.ph), including the seven PelikuLAYA titles that are available until June 30: “Masahista” by Brillante Mendoza, “I Love You. Thank You” by Charliebebs Gohetia, “Mga Gabing Kasing Haba ng Hair Ko” by Gerardo Calagui, “Miss Bulalacao” by Ara Chawdhury, “Ang Huling Cha-Cha Ni Anita” by Sigrid Andrea P. Bernardo, “Best. Partee. Ever.” by HF Yambao, and “Ned’s Project” by Lem Lorca.
Available for rental starting June 4 is award-winning French film “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” by Céline Sciamma starring Adèle Haenel and Noémie Merlant, which will have its Philippine Online Premiere at PelikuLAYA 2021. The 2019 Cannes Awardee for the Queer Palm Prize and Best Screenplay will be available for rental for PHP 220 with a 7-day access that will expire 48 hours after the first play.
PelikuLAYA will screen four films for free throughout the festival: Rhadem Morados’ documentary “Budjang” and three shorts from CineSpectra 2019: A Film Festival for HIV/AIDS Awareness — “A” by Rod Modina, “Alex & Aki” by Dexter Paul de Jesus, and “Doon sa Isang Sulok” by Yong Tapang, Jr. In addition, one-time free screenings will be held: “Lihis” by Joel Lamangan for the opening program and “T-Bird at Ako” by Danny Zialcita for the closing program.
“The Film Development Council of the Philippines is relaunching PelikuLAYA this year as an annual LGBTQIA+ film festival organized by the national government as our way to express our continued support for gender equality and inclusivity by creating platforms to bring to light the struggles, celebrate the achievements, and champion the causes of the LGBTQIA+ community,” said FDCP Chairperson and CEO Liza Diño.
The FDCP’s Cine Lokal held the 1st PelikuLAYA in 2018 with screenings of award-winning films in selected SM Cinemas. The following year, the FDCP mounted the 1st International Pride Celebration at Cinematheque Centre Manila in partnership with the Embassies of the United States, Austria, and Sweden in Manila.
PelikuLAYA special events and panel discussions
The PelikuLAYA Opening Program “Thank God, It’s Pride Day!” starts at 7 p.m. on June 4 featuring the Sineng Pambansa National Film Festival 2013 entry “Lihis,” a love story during the Marcos regime involving two NPA comrades played by Jake Cuenca and Joem Bascon. “Lihis” also stars Lovi Poe, Isabelle Daza, and Gloria Diaz.
“Thank God, It’s Pride Day!” as well as all other PelikuLAYA events will be streamed live on the FDCP Channel and on the FDCP’s Facebook pages and YouTube channel. From June 12 to 27, four FDCP Film Talks on PelikuLAYA will be held:
● “My Coming Out Story” is on the inspiring stories that helped us understand our community’s differing expressions and celebrations of freedom (June 12, Saturday).
Moderated by actor and writer Phi Palmos featuring directors Kim Timan and Rod Singh, actors Fifth Solomon and Zar Donato, and musician Miguel Odron.
● “In His/Her/Their Shoes” is on how transcending on-screen portrayals of LGBTQIA+ characters help us understand the “real and reel” themes and issues that relate to the members of the LGBTQIA+ community (June 13, Sunday).
Moderated by director Jade Castro featuring actors Anthony Falcon, Angeli Bayani, Adrian Lindayag, and EJ Jallorina, and director Petersen Vargas.
● “P’wedding Pwede Na Ba?” is on how seemingly-controversial conversations about same-sex unions and the SOGIE Equality Bill are being handled, processed, and interpreted by members and non-members of the LGBTQIA+ community (June 26, Saturday).
Moderated by actor and director John Lapus featuring FDCP Chairperson and CEO Liza Diño and actor and musician Ice Seguerra, directors Andoy Ranay and Noel Escondo, and director-producer Perci Intalan.
● “To Love Some Buddies” is on how important it is for members of the LGBTQIA+ community to have significant support systems as they embark on their personal journeys of coming into terms with their real selves (June 27, Sunday).
Moderated by Miss Trans Global 2020 Mela Habijan featuring Francis Dacanay of Love Yourself PH, Pat Bringas of UP Babaylan, Ronn Astillas of the Philippine LGBT Chamber of Commerce, Chase Tolentino of Transman Equality and Awareness Movement (TEAM), and Dr. Mikee Inton-Campbell of the Society of Transsexual Women of the Philippines (STRAP).
Replays of panel discussions will be shown for free on June 19. The two Pista ng Pelikulang Pilipino (PPP) Film Talks featured are:
● “Depiction of LGBT Characters and Queer Cinema History” is on how members of the audiovisual industry develop and empower LGBTQIA+ characters.
● “Philippine Queer Cinema Lecture” by Nick Deocampo is a special lecture that explores how Queer Cinema has always been present in Philippine Cinema history and how it has evolved through the years.
The “Yo, Gay!” drag yoga session, where participants can attain physical and mental wellness and get a chance to win special prizes for best dressed, will be held on June 20. Prizes include gift cards and vouchers worth up to PHP 1,500. The three winners will each receive an FDCP Channel Hoodie while other participants will receive FDCP Channel merchandise.
The PelikuLAYA Official Closing Program “Awra!: Mga Awit at Rampa para sa Ating Makulay na Komunidad” on June 30 at 7 p.m. will feature a musical performance, a fashion show from members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and a free one-time screening of the restored version of “T-Bird at Ako” starring Superstar Nora Aunor and Star for All Seasons Vilma Santos, presented by the ABS-CBN Film Restoration Program.
The PelikuLAYA: LGBTQIA+ Film Festival is presented by the Film Development Council of the Philippines exclusively on the FDCP Channel in partnership with ABS-CBN Film Restoration – Sagip Pelikula, Love Yourself PH, Philippine LGBT Chamber of Commerce, HerShe, Village Pipol, Pelikula Mania, Parcinq Magazine, ClickTheCity, LakanBini Advocates Pilipinas, PUP Kasarianlan, PUP DZMC Young Communicators’ Guild, CIIT 24 Frames, MAPUA Kino Indio, and FEU Film Society.
The PelikuLAYA: LGBTQIA+ Film Festival lineup available from June 4 to 30 on the FDCPchannel.ph platform:
The Opening and Closing Films will be available in the Events tab
● “Lihis” (Opening Film) by Joel Lamangan
● Restored version of “T-Bird at Ako” (Closing Film) by Danny Zialcita
CineSpectra Short Film Festival titles
● “A” by Rod Modina
● “Alex & Aki” by Dexter Paul de Jesus
● “Doon sa Isang Sulok” by Yong Tapang, Jr.
● “Budjang” by Rhadem Morados
● “Masahista” by Brillante Mendoza
● “I Love You. Thank You” by Charliebebs Gohetia
● “Mga Gabing Kasing Haba ng Hair Ko” by Gerardo Calagui
● “Miss Bulalacao” by Ara Chawdhury
● “Ang Huling Cha-Cha ni Anita” by Sigrid Andrea P. Bernardo
● “Best. Partee. Ever.” by HF Yambao
● “Ned’s Project” by Lem Lorca
● “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” by Céline Sciamma